SBO Magazine posted this story on June 3, 2016:
The Mockingbird Foundation, an all-volunteer nonprofit founded and run entirely by Phish fans, has announced eleven new grants totaling $59,650 in support of music education for children.
The grants come from Mockingbird’s 20th round of competitive grant-making, include support from several band-related charities, and bring the foundation’s total disbursements to more than $975,000.
The recipients actually applied during the 19th round last fall. The opportunity to invite their proposals for this unexpected spring round was a direct result of financial support that Mockingbird has received from individual donors and partners alike over the last year. Nearly half of the grants exceed the amounts which had been requested by the applicants.
Five of the grants have been doubled, thanks to funds from the Waterwheel Foundation, and three were made possible by matching funds from the Kristy Anastasio Manning Memorial Fund. Combined, these partners graciously provided over $21K, in addition to Mockingbird’s $38K contribution. This funding partnership among the three organizations began last fall, and will hopefully augment grants for years to come.
These newest grants support the following programs at schools, centers, and non-profit organizations in nine states, including the Foundation’s first grant in Rhode Island:
· $10,000 for various expenses at Arts Council Of Pendleton (Pendleton, OR) – doubled
· $5,000 for instruments at Center For World Music (San Diego, CA)
· $5,000 for various expenses at The Heir & Heiress Club, Inc. (Chesapeake, VA)
· $10,000 for equipment at Highlander Charter School (Providence, RI) – doubled
· $5,000 for various expenses at KIPP Dallas-Fort Worth (Dallas, TX)
· $1,000 for instruments at Musicians Inspiring Children, Inc. (Fayetteville, WA)
· $4,000 for instruments at Pepin Academies-Pasco County (New Port Richey, FL) – matched & doubled
· $5,000 for staffing at Sacramento Guitar Society (Folsom, CA)
· $2,650 for instruments at Tuscano Elementary School (Phoenix, AZ) – matched
· $4,000 for instruments at Tucker Elementary School (Philadelphia, MS) – matched & doubled
· $8,000 for staffing at United Sound, Inc. (Gilbert, AZ) – doubled
Thanks to @Drew_Savage for the find!